Language requirements: English essential
Who We Are:
Digital Opportunity Trust (DOT) (www.dotrust.org) is a Canadian-based non-profit that works in 25 countries to mobilize and inspire all underserved and disadvantaged young people with digital literacy, 21st century skills, and the self-confidence that will enable them to thrive in an inclusive digital economy. DOT works with youth, the private sector, governments, and community-based organizations towards a collaborative vision of communities around the world shaped by daring social innovators.
We are looking for a Director of Finance to join our team. This is a full-time position in a creative environment with a supportive and collaborative international team. We offer a flexible working arrangement and the opportunity for professional growth and development.
The successful candidate will apply their skill and experience to support DOT’s operational accounting function, ideally with an appreciation for international development. You possess a strong spirit for community service and share DOT’s passion for the role of youth in creating a better world.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Responsible for all aspects of financial operations, including supervision, oversight and mentoring of Ottawa and international accounting staff.
- Oversee the day-to-day accounting and finance operations, including Headquarter payroll, cash management, and the management of internal controls.
- Prepare or review all relevant financial reporting to senior external and internal stakeholders, such as the Board of Directors, the Executive Committee, and donors.
- Manage all finance review mechanisms including the annual external audit, and all necessary fillings with government agencies.
- Contribute to proposal development and seeking external sources of funding, including scoping project and program budgets.
- Contribute to strong project financial planning and management including developing and reviewing annual budgets, and preparing monthly project spend reports.
- Maintain strong relationships with relevant external service providers, including those who provide banking, insurance, and payroll services.
- Oversee and direct the review of branch and affiliate operations.
The Director of Finance will work collaboratively with the CFO in the areas of:
- Internal and External financial reporting;
- Budgeting and Forecasting;
- Capacity development (education/employee development at HQ, branch and affiliate offices);
- Review and revision of policies and procedures.
- CPA, CGA/CA/CMA designation, or a bachelor’s degree in Finance/Accounting is mandatory.
- A minimum of 5 years accounting experience within a corporate or NFP environment in a supervisory role.
- Knowledgeable and experienced with the application of accounting principles and practices.
- Canadian GAAP and IFRS experience in a not-for-profit context.
- Experience in project accounting, financial reporting, reporting to donors, and statutory reporting.
- Demonstrated experience in the preparation of budgets, financial reports and performance analysis.
- Experience with complex accounting systems in a Multi-location, multi-currency environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, with advanced abilities in Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with mid-level ERP systems (e.g., Netsuite, Sage Intacct, and Microsoft Dynamics)
- An understanding of the CRA requirements for charities and the implication of foreign exchange in financial reporting would be an asset.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills and experience working in a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize in a dynamic environment.
What DOT Offers:
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- Opportunities for professional growth and development.
- Opportunity to make a real difference in the developing world.
- Opportunity to work with a dynamic International team committed to youth and systems change.
Please apply here: https://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Digital-Opportunity-Trust-1/jobs
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
DOT values diversity and is committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and cross-cultural sensitivity. We encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. DOT accommodates people with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process. Please indicate your need for accommodation in your application.